Fraud, Waste & Abuse Reporting
- The Office of Audits and Investigations for Prince George's County, Maryland, monitors allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement of County funds.
Acts of Fraud, Waste and/or Abuse are drains on the time, effort and resources of the County government and all of its agencies. Fraud, waste or abuse can occur through unintentional acts or it can occur by deliberate actions. Regardless of the intent, fraud, waste and/or abuse cannot be tolerated.
DefinitionsThe following definitions are provided to help you understand how these categories of activities differ from each other:
- Fraud is the intentional deception or misrepresentation that an individual knows, or should know, to be false, and makes, knowing the deception could result in some unauthorized benefit to himself/herself or some other person.
- Waste is the extravagant, careless, or needless expenditure of County funds or consumption of County property that result from deficient practices, system controls, or decisions.
- Abuse is the intentional, wrongful, or improper use of County resources. Abuse can include the excessive or improper use of any thing or of one's position, to employ it in a manner contrary to its rightful or the legal rules of its use.
Reporting AllegationsIf you want to report such allegations, you may do so by filling out a Fraud, Waste or Abuse Reporting Form (PDF) or by using one of these other methods:
- Send allegations via email
- Send a fax to Fraud, Waste and Abuse at 301-780-2097
- Write to:
Fraud, Waste and Abuse
Office of Audits and Investigations
Wayne K. Curry Administration Building
1301 McCormick Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20774
Note: Your actual identity need not be revealed; however, to relate you to the reported situation if any future contact is made please create an alias and include it on the reporting form.
In all cases, please provide as much detail as possible concerning the who, when, where, what, how and how much. You do not need to provide your name (confidentiality).
Privacy DisclaimerPlease be advised that your Internet address and message to the Office of Audits and Investigations, which is submitted via this home page, may be susceptible to a breach of confidentiality because of the inherent openness of the Internet.
The Fraud, Waste or Abuse Reporting Form (PDF) is an integral part of the Office of Audits and Investigations. Its objectives are to:
- Provide a means that anyone may use to report allegations of fraud, waste, abuse, or mismanagement of County funds
- Support conducting an internal inquiry or for referring the allegations to an appropriate law enforcement investigative agency
- Expedite responses concerning reported incidents
- Review responses to allegations referred by the Office of Audits and Investigations
- Advise the County Council of active incidents and the status of investigative progress
- Provide information to federal, state, and local organizations about establishing their own hotlines