Board of Appeals
Thank you for visiting the Board of Appeals website.
Some pages of this site are currently under constructions or being updated. However, applications and instruction links are still accessible for variances and appeals. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact our office at 301-952-3220.
The Variance Application can be found on the Variance page. Please click the link on the navigation bar to the left.
To register to speak at a Board of Appeals hearing, please click the link below.
Prince George's County became a chartered county in 1970 and the Maryland-Washington Regional District Act, Article 28, allows the land use authority given to the Board of Appeals within the Maryland-Washington Regional District.
The 5-member Board of Appeals for Prince George's County is appointed by the County Council under the authority of Article 25A and Article 66D of the Annotated Code of Maryland to hear zoning appeals and general administrative appeals. All appeals relating to the respective jurisdictions of the Board of Administrative Appeals and the Board of Zoning Appeals are filed and heard separately.
- Bobbie S. Mack, Chairperson
- Anastasia T. Johnson, Member
- Renee Alston, Member
- Teia Hill, Member
- William Carl Isler, II, Member
Board of Administrative Appeals
The Board of Administrative Appeals hears appeals from the decisions of County departments/agencies, including the:
- Chief Building Inspector
- Chief Housing Inspector
- Clean Lot Inspector
- Director of the Department of Environmental Resources
- Director of the Department of Public Works and Transportation
- Fire Marshall
- Licensing Officer
Typical administrative appeals are filed from denials of building permits, orders remove litter and correct housing code violations and do not pertain to a specific Section of the Zoning Ordinance.
Board of Zoning Appeals
As the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Board is empowered to:
- Grant variances when unusual hardships will be caused to property owners by the strict interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance
- Grant extensions of the grace period for the correction or cessation of certain zoning violations
- Review actions and decisions of the Zoning Inspector
- Review the determinations and decisions of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, the Department of Permitting, Inspections, and Enforcement, and other County departments and agencies relating to provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.
The Board of Appeals have Spanish speaking staff who may assist in applying for variances or appeals. When contacting our office, please request a Spanish speaking staff member.
The Board of Appeals will provide Interpreter Services for any language. To include Sign Language. There will be a small fee for this service during a hearing. Please indicate your request for an interpreter on the variance application. For interpreter services for any appeal, please include in your letter of request the need for an interpreter.
Please also be advised, family members or friends may NOT provide interpreter services during a hearing. Our Interpreters are Certified Court Interpreters.
Agendas & Minutes
Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda