Board of Appeals
Prince George's County became a chartered county in 1970 and the Maryland-Washington Regional District Act, Article 28, allows the land use authority given to the Board of Appeals within the Maryland-Washington Regional District.
The 3-member Board of Appeals for Prince George's County is appointed by the County Council under the authority of Article 25A and Article 66D of the Annotated Code of Maryland to hear zoning appeals and general administrative appeals. All appeals relating to the respective jurisdictions of the Board of Administrative Appeals and the Board of Zoning Appeals are filed and heard separately.
Board of Administrative Appeals
The Board of Administrative Appeals hears appeals from the decisions of County departments/agencies, including the:
- Chief Building Inspector
- Chief Housing Inspector
- Clean Lot Inspector
- Director of the Department of Environmental Resources
- Director of the Department of Public Works and Transportation
- Fire Marshall
- Licensing Officer
Board of Zoning Appeals
As the Board of Zoning Appeals, the Board is empowered to:
- Grant variances when unusual hardships will be caused to property owners by the strict interpretation of the Zoning Ordinance
- Grant extensions of the grace period for the correction or cessation of certain zoning violations
- Review actions and decisions of the Zoning Inspector
- Review the determinations and decisions of the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, the Department of Permitting,Inspections, and Enforcement, and other County departments and agencies relating to provisions of the Zoning Ordinance.
Agendas & Minutes
Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agenda
- Bobbie S. Mack, Chairperson
- Albert C. Scott, Vice Chairman
- Anastasia T. Johnson, Member
Wed Jan. 23
Wed Feb. 6
Wed Feb. 20
- 6 p.m.
- 2 Wednesdays per month
- Zoning Hearing Room
County Administration Building
Suite 200, Lower Level
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772