COVID-19 Operational Changes
PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY COUNCIL MEETING EMERGENCY OPERATIONS
EFFECTIVE MARCH 17, 2020
In an abundance of caution given the current state of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and under the Governor’s “Proclamation and Declaration of State of Emergency and Existence of Catastrophic Health Emergency – COVID-19”, effective March 5, 2020, and the Prince George’s County State of Emergency Declaration, effective March 16, 2020, as well as guidance from the Office of the County Executive, dated March 13, 2020, including the closing of County buildings to the public, and in consultation with the County Department of Health, the County Council is operating under the following emergency procedures. These procedures became effective pursuant to CR-10-2020, which was adopted by the Council on Tuesday, March 17, 2020:
- All necessary County Council sessions, public hearings and regular and budget committee meetings will continue to take place as determined by Council leadership and will only be accessible in person, when necessary, to Council Members and essential Council, County and/or governmental staff. All other personnel or public may access the meetings online. All meetings of the County Council will continue to be live-streamed.
- While the current threat to health and safety challenges in-person participation in Council processes, CR-10-2020 provides for alternative public participation to include remote teleconferencing. The other forms of acceptable alternative public participation options shall include the utilization of digital technology, the web, email, and live streaming, where such meetings, sessions or hearings are mandated.
- All public meetings, sessions and hearings of the Prince George’s County Council sitting as the District Council, Zoning Hearing Examiner, and Board of Appeals are stayed for a period of sixty (60) days or until such time as the statewide emergency is lifted.
- The time within which any individual, agency or official must submit a recommendation and/or response to the Prince George’s County Council sitting as the District Council, Zoning Hearing Examiner, or Board of Appeals for their consideration at said public meetings, sessions and hearings, is stayed for a period of sixty (60) days or until such time as the statewide emergency is lifted.
- Deadlines, requirements, or expirations will be suspended, tolled, extended or any other relief granted from time deadlines, requirements, or expirations in the Prince George’s County Code, including Subtitle 27, where there is no practical ability of a party subject to such deadline, requirement, or expiration, to comply or seek other relief.
- All County Council appointed work groups, task forces and commissions in-person meetings and/or hearings are suspended until further notice. However, they may proceed using alternative public participation options, including utilization of digital technology or teleconferencing, where such meetings and/or hearings are required.
Written Testimony or Comments
Written testimony or comments for public hearings, committee meetings or comments for the Citizen Participation portion of each meeting will be accepted in electronic format, rather than by U.S. mail. Submissions should be received by 3:00 p.m. on the day before the County Council session, public hearing or committee meeting and should be emailed to: ClerkoftheCouncil@co.pg.md.us or faxed to (301) 952-5178.
All testimony and comments received by the deadline will become part of the public record of the meeting and, when feasible, noted at the meeting. They will be shared with the Council Members, Council staff and other County agency staff.
Testimony and comments will not be accepted via social media or by telephone.
Mail delivery is an essential function, and mail continues to be delivered to the Legislative Branch and Council Member offices, although, on a significantly reduced schedule. As a result, responses to hard copy mail will be delayed. Please contact your Council Member’s office or the Clerk of the Council via electronic mail for time sensitive issues and/or requests.” Direct communication with Council Members regarding a pending land use or zoning matter is considered Ex Parte and is prohibited. Therefore, please refrain from sending electronic or e-mail communication to your Council Member regarding pending land use or zoning matters.
These policies are in effect until otherwise changed and, any future changes to them, will be communicated on the County Council website, County Council social media channels, via Alert Prince George’s, and will be shared with the press via a press release. The County Council will continue to monitor this rapidly evolving crisis and assess any need for additional adjustments. For County Council updates, please visit https://pgccouncil.us.
For the latest County Council Calendar updates please click here. For updates on COVID-19 in Prince George’s County, please visit the Health Department’s dedicated web page, www.health.mypgc.us/coronavirus or call the Health Department Coronavirus Hotline at 301.883.6627 daily between 8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m.