The Prince George’s County Council believes local nonprofits represent an important and critical component of the County’s overall efforts to help address the human, social, education, recreation and service needs central to building and maintaining strong communities.
Submittal Deadline Extended To Close of Business
Wednesday, June 24, 2020
County Council Grant Management Special Notice During COVID-19 Pandemic
The current health crisis, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, has had sweeping impacts on the business community, both public and private, and particularly the non-profit community. This situation has required a range of reductions and adjustments in activities affecting all aspects of operations, including use and management of County awarded grant funds. While the hope is that non-profit Council grant recipients will make every reasonable effort to meet established Periodic Progress Report schedules, as set forth in their specific Council grant agreements, the Council intends to be flexible and will accommodate our non-profit grantees by not strictly enforcing reporting requirements and/or timeframes during the COVID-19 health crisis.
County Council Grant Process
To provide for greater transparency and full accountability of the Council’s grant fund allocation and designation programs, modifications are continuing to be made to the grant programs processes to further strengthen transparency and ensure the continuing integrity of the Council’s grant programs.
Each year, through a formal application process, the Prince George’s County Council allocates funds to support non-profit organizations throughout the County in the form of:
Special Appropriation Grants- Awarded by individual Council Members throughout the Fiscal Year in response to applications received from non-profit organizations.
Non-Departmental Grants- Only submit an application if notified by letter of tentative grant award.
Stadium Impact Area Mitigation Grants- Only submit an application if notified by letter of tentative grant award.
NEW FOR FY2020
A single grant application will be utilized for all Council Grants listed above FY2020 - Prince George’s County Council Grant Application
A separate Prince George’s County Domestic Violence Grant Application shall be utilized for Organizations applying for a Domestic Violence Grant Award. Domestic Violence Grants will be accepted from August 26, 2019 through September 25, 2019.
Grant program requirements, are briefly summarized below:
· Organizations Must Be in Good Standing with the Maryland State Department of Assessments and Taxation (MD SDAT)
· Organizations Must be Registered Under the Maryland Solicitations Act, as a charitable organization soliciting in Maryland, with the Office of the Secretary of State. Additional Information can be found at https://sos.maryland.gov/Charity/Pages/Registering-Charity.aspx
· Only original signed applications will be accepted. Note: When submitting applications for consideration to multiple Council Members each application requires an original signature.
· All required documents must be submitted each year
· Submission of a grant application request does not guarantee award of a grant
· The requested amount for a grant is not guaranteed to be awarded
· Receipt of a grant in a previous year does not guarantee award of a grant for the current year
· Accountability for County funding is required
· Each program or service must have a measurable / quantifiable outcome that can be reported
· Organizations must maintain adequate financial records and statements to account for all sources of funding, including County funding, as well as all expenditures
· Organizations must maintain adequate records and documentation to facilitate an independent audit by a CPA firm or by the Prince George’s County Office of Audits and Investigations
Grant funds cannot be used:
· For Political Purpose or Advocacy
· To benefit a For-Profit Entity
· To benefit, directly or indirectly, a Non-Profit / Tax-Exempt entity which has lost its IRS tax-exempt status
The following documents MUST be submitted with each application:
· Current MD Charity Certificate of Registration
· IRS Form W-9 – Original must be Signed
· Completed Prince George’s County Authorization for Electronic Funds Transfer Form – Original must be Signed
· Most Current IRS Tax-Exempt Status Letter
· If applicable, current Letter of Good Standing for Organizations that are a component of a larger umbrella organization (i.e. PTAs & Boys and Girls Clubs)
· Attachment A – Organizations with total annual revenue of less than $10,0000 (If Applicable)
· Attachment B - Mission/Purpose of the Organization
· Attachment C - Narrative description of the proposed use of requested grant funds
· Attachment E - Narrative description of all grants the Organization currently has or has previously received from the Prince George’s County Government over the past 5 years (2015-2019)
· Financial Reports (See Financial Information Section on Application for Instructions)
· Organization’s By-Laws, Articles of Incorporation
· Roster of the Organization’s current Board of Directors & Staff Members
· IRS Form 990, 990-EZ, 990-N, or other applicable tax return
· Independent Audit or Review performed by a Certified Public Accountant (if available); required for all organizations with total Revenue from all Sources of $300,000 or more.