The Prince George's County Council, during the Exchange of Gavel ceremony, held on Tuesday, December 6, 2022, elected District 1 Council Member Tom Dernoga to serve as Chair of the County Council for the 2023 Legislative Year. This will be Council Member Dernoga's third time serving as Council Chair. He previously served in Council leadership in 2006 and 2010. He also served as Vice Chair of the Council in 2005 and 2009. Council Member Dernoga, whose tenure on the Council has been noted for his leadership on environmental, historical and agricultural preservation issues, and smart growth, represents Councilmanic District 1.
District 6 Council Member Wala Blegay, was elected as Vice Chair to serve alongside Council Member Dernoga. They are committed to bringing government to the People. Their principal areas of focus will be:
- Transparency in Our Government
- Increasing Services for Residents
- Preserving our Green Space and Protecting Our Environment
- Supporting Smart and Quality Development for Our Community - quality development to support transit-oriented community and Bringing Amenities Closer to Residents
- Supporting Working Families: Supporting policies that bring financial growth for families
- Increasing Opportunities for Local Minority Businesses and Nonprofits
- Bringing Access to Quality Healthcare to Our Community
Council Member Dernoga also announced the following members of his leadership team:
- Vice Chair Wala Blegay, Council District 6, will serve as Chair of the General Assembly (GA) committee.
- Eric Olson, Council District 3, will serve as Chair of the Transportation, Infrastructure, Energy & Environment (TIEE) committee.
- Jolene Ivey, Council District 5, will serve as Chair of the Planning, Housing & Economic Development (PHED) committee.
- Krystal Oriadha, Council District 7, will chair the Health, Human Services & Public Safety (HHSPS) committee.
- Ed Burroughs, Council District 8, will chair the Government Operations & Fiscal Policy (GOFP) committee.